'14,000 Indians in Yemen are safe'
New Delhi, Feb 21, 2011, (IANS) With a popular revolt erupting in Yemen, India Monday said its 14,000 nationals living in the Arab country are safe and issued an advisory to Indians to avoid non-essential travel to that country.
'There are around 14,000 Indians in Yemen who are reported to be safe. The ministry and the Embassy of India, Sana'a, are following the developments closely,' external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said here Monday.
The Indian embassy in Yemen's capital Sana'a has set up a 24-hour helpline (+967 711 880 938) to assist Indians. An e-mail can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
'Indian nationals are advised to avoid non-essential travel to Yemen for the present,' the ministry said.
Violent public protests have erupted in Yemen, threatening to overthrow President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who has been in power since 1978. Twelve people have been killed in the protests so far.
In the country's south, police shot dead a protester in the regional capital, Aden, where protests have raged killing 12 people and wounding dozens since February 16, medics and eyewitnesses said.