Monday, May 21, 2012

Al-Qaeda attacks military positions in Yemen's Abyan

By Fatik al-Rodaini
SANA'A, May 21, 2012- Madad News Agency claimed on its page on Facebook that all military positions in the Yemeni city of Ba’jdar of Abyan province were attacked by Ansar al-Sharia, an Islamic group linked to al-Qaeda.
"All the positions of the Sana’a regime forces in Ba’jdar fall to Ansar Al-Sharia after a surprise attack," the agency said on Monday night.
The group reported that they also killed Yemeni soldiers in the attack as cited a media source of Ansar Al-Sharia who confirmed that the attack resulted in the death of more than 40 soldiers from the Sana’a regime forces as well as the injury and escape of tens of others from their positions.
The website stated that the mujahidin controlled after fierce clashes between the two sides, and he clarified that eight mujahidin were martyred Allah willing during the battles during which the mujahidin seized all the military equipment present in these locations.
Madad said the group looted several military equipment, including a tank and anti-aircraft caliber 37 and a group of RPG launchers with its rockets and three Pekka and more than 70 Kalashnikovs and various amounts of ammunition.
The website added that the group burned a military truck loaded by weapons and ammunition.
So far all government officials are refusing to comment on the matter.

Yemen's President vows to destroy al-Qaeda

By Fatik al-Rodaini
SANA'A, May 21, 2012- Yemen's President Abdu Rabo Mansour Hadi pledged on Monday evening to continue the country fight against al-Qaeda militants till to uproot the completely the group regardless of sacrifices.
According to state news agency Saba president Hadi said in a statement that the war on terror will continue until it is completely destroyed regardless of the sacrifices.
''The terrorists wanted to turn the joy of our people with the unity day into sorrow and therefore, the war on terrorism will continue till it is uprooted and defeated completely whatever the sacrifices are."
Early morning, a suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of an army battalion in Sanaa, killing 96 troops and wounding around 300.
Al-Qaeda's attack was condemned locally and internationally, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned Monday's suicide bombing in Yemen that killed almost 100 soldiers, saying those behind the attack must be brought to justice.
"The secretary general calls on all in Yemen to reject the use of violence in all its forms and manifestations, and expects them play a full and constructive role in implementing Yemen's political transition agreement," Ban said in a written statement.
"This criminal act cannot be justified by any cause," Ban said. "Its perpetrators must be held accountable."
France also utterly condemned the attack saying we extend our condolences to the bereaved and express our solidarity with the Yemeni authorities in their fight against terrorism.
In these tragic circumstances, France reaffirms its full support for the efforts of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi to pursue in Yemen a political transition process that is consistent with the aspirations of the Yemeni people.
Russia strongly condemned the perpetrators and masterminds of today’s suicide bomb attack in Sana’a.
Moscow described it as an attempt to derail a transition to democracy after the resignation of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who ruled Yemen for over 40 years but ultimately had to step down in the face of a popular revolt.
The Foreign and Expatriates Ministry strongly condemned the terrorist attack carried out by a suicide bomber in al-Sab'een Plaza in the Yemeni capital, which resulted in hundreds of deaths and injuries.
In a statement issued on Monday, the Ministry stressed that terrorism has no religion nor country, and that al-Qaeda which attacked Damascus and other cities recently has targeted the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, adding that "the blood which was shed in Yemen and the blood that was shed in Syria are one and the same."
The Ministry offered its sincerest condolences to the government and people of Yemen over the martyrs who fell in the bombing, expressing full solidarity and offering deepest sympathies to the families of victims, wishing the wounded a quick recovery, and hoping that security and stability will be restored in Yemen.

The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s terrorist attack against Yemeni military forces. We extend our deepest condolences to the friends and families of the scores killed and wounded in the attack. This cowardly attack highlights the lengths to which al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula will go to wreak havoc in Yemen and beyond. The United States remains committed to a comprehensive strategy that emphasizes governance and economic development as well as counterterrorism efforts in Yemen. We will continue to support President Hadi and the Yemeni people as they work to realize their aspirations for a brighter and more prosperous future.

Al-Qaeda suicide bomber targets Yemen's Defense Minister

By Fatik al-Rodaini
SANA'A, May 21, 2012- Al-Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula, AQAP, said on Monday in a statement posted on the Internet that they the suicide bombing attacks that killed 96 Yemeni soldiers was in revenge for the U.S. war on its followers in southern Yemen and that it had targeted the Yemeni defense minister and his top commanders.
The statement warned of more attacks will follow if the military campaign in the southern province of Abyan did not stop.
"We will take revenge, God willing, and the flames of war will reach you everywhere, and what happened is but the start of a jihad project in defense of honor and sanctities," the statement, addressing Yemeni military commanders,'' the statement read.
Meanwhile, Yemen's defense ministry said in its website the death toll in a suicide bombing at a military parade rehearsal in the capital Sanaa has risen to 90.
Military officials said Monday's bombing, which took place near Sanaa's presidential palace, is one of the deadliest attacks in the city in years.
They say the attacker was a soldier taking part in the drill, lining up with fellow troops at a main square in the capital.
At least 100 others were injured in the attack, they added.

President Hadi dismisses military and security leaders

By Fatik al-Rodaini
SANA'A, May 21, 2012- Yemen's new President Abdu Rabo Mansour Hadi dismissed on Monday military and security leader hours after the death of 100 Yemeni soldiers in an attack conducted by an al-Qaeda militant in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, while they were training for a parade for the celebration of Yemen's National Day on Tuesday.
According to Saba news agency President Hadi dismissed, ex-president Saleh's nephew,  Amar Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, the deputy of the National Security Agency for Foreign Affairs Sector, appointing Mohamed Juami'a al-Khadhr.
Moreover, President Hadi dismissed Abdul Malek al-Taeb, the commander of the central security assigning Fadhl Yahya bin Naji al-Qawsi as well as assigning Hussein Mohammed Hussein al-Radhi as commander of the police forces and Ali Abdullah Yahya Humaid as a staff officer of the police forces.

Saleh media aide accuses ministers for al-Qaeda attack

By Fatik al-Rdoaini
SANA'A, May 21, 2012- Yemen's ex-president media aide, Ahmed al-Sawfi accused on Monday Yemen's Defense and Interior ministers of helping al-Qaeda militants to target Yemeni troops.
Al-Sawfi said that Yemen's Defense Mister, Ahmed Nasser Mohammed and Interior Minister Abdul Qader Qahtan of easing the way for al-Qaeda to carry out their attack against Yemeni troops in al-Sabean Square, when they insisted to transfer the training parade from the Security Central headquarters to al-Sabean Square, Akhbar al-Baled website reported.
According the website said that Security Central headquarters is stronghold place while the al-Sabean Square is not. Al-Sawfi added the two ministers should resign for their shortcoming.
Early morning, nearly 100 soldiers were killed and 300 others were wounded, most of them in critical condition in a suicide bombing in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, conducted by an al-Qaeda militant in al-Sabean Square.

Pentagon: Civilian contractors attacked in Yemen; injuries minor

    BY PAULINE JELINEK  Associated Press
May 21, 2012 - 10:41 am
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon says three civilian contractors helping train Yemen's coast guard were attacked in Yemen.
Cmdr. Bill Speaks, a Defense Department spokesman, said Monday that injuries to the party were minor.
The three were traveling in a car in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida on Sunday, when they were shot at by militants in another vehicle.
It was first incorrectly reported that the workers were members of the U.S. Coast Guard.