KOTA KINABALU, March 13, 2011- The government wants to bring back 443 Malaysians who are in Sanaa and Eden in Yemen following the turmoil in the country worsening, said Foreign Minister Datuk Anifah Aman.
He said the government was following closely developments in Yemen and that his ministry had submitted a report to the government on what needed to be done.
"We will bring Malaysians in Sanaa and Eden home directly because the situation in the two cities has become worrying, However, the security situation in other areas in Yemen are still under control," he told reporters here Sunday.
Meanwhile, Anifah said as of 1.30pm today (Malaysian time), Malaysia's embassy in Tokyo had been able to contact 544 Malaysians living in the worst hit areas of Japan's twin earthquake and tsunami disaster and that all of them were safe.
He said they were reported to have been moved to safety shelters by the Japanese authorities. He said 298 Malaysian students living in the same areas were also reported to be safe and that the goverment had no plans to bring them home for now.
He added that a total of 5,009 Malaysians were registered with the embassy of whom 2,100 were students.