Feb. 27, 2012
NEW YORK (WTW) — A New York man who came from Yemen as a child has lost his U.S. citizenship because of what the State Department says was a bureaucratic error when he got it.
The New York Times (http://nyti.ms/AzdOYC ) reports that the recently discovered blunder has left Abdo Hizam without a country.
Hizam moved to Dearborn, Mich. in 1990 at age 9. He gave up his Yemeni citizenship, graduated from high school and earned a business degree. He now lives in the Bronx and works at a store.
But last year the State Department told Hizam that he had received his citizenship in 1990 "due to department error."
Hizam has filed a lawsuit demanding that the U.S. government affirm his citizenship and reissue his passport.
U.S. officials said they could not comment.