Sana'a, September 19, 2011
Following unprecedented scenes of violence yesterday in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, the government which is accused of despicable act of violence against its civilians by the Opposition, is now expressing sorrow over the violence.
"The government of Yemen expresses its sorrow and condemnation for all acts of violence and bloodshed as those happened yesterday in Sanaa," foreign minister Abu Bakr al-Kurbi told the UN Human Rights Council.
"The government will investigate and hold accountable all those who were in charge of these acts," he added.
"It is unfortunate that these events occurred at a time while some solutions for the political crisis started to appear," said the minister.
"The widespread proliferation of weapons in the hands of Yemenis unfortunately makes things more complicated in such circumstances," he added.
It all started yesterday when a march of protesters was allegedly attacked by men belonging to the Central Security Forces. Witnesses reported that the men suddenly opened fire upon them, using water cannons to prevent the men and women present to escape from the scene.
Further Sana’a residents close to the University reported the presence of snipers upon rooftops, adding that heavy artillery was being used against civilians.
Medics reported the death of at least 26 people yesterday, with as much as several hundred casualties. So far today, the Yemen Post could confirm the death of 6 civilians.
Sadly, it seems that most of the casualties being brought in today are children, most of them lying lifeless as they succumbed to their injuries.
The government repeated its dedication towards a political solution to the uprising, saying that it was still willing to discuss the road map to a possible transfer of power.
No words were heard from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia where President Ali Abdullah Saleh is still recovering from his wounds.
Source: Yemen Post