Thursday, August 25, 2011

Seventeen GCSEs already for brother and sister from Yemen

25 August 2011

By Tristan Kirk

A BROTHER and sister are toasting GCSE success a year-and-a-half after moving to Britain from Yemen.

Shady Qubaty, who is still only 14, achieved two A*s in Arabic and Maths while studying at Broomfield School, scoring 100 per cent in two of the four arabic modules.

His sister, Alya, 16, has now passed 15 GCSEs, notching up six A*s in year nine, another three last year and scored 5As and a B in her exam results this year.

Shady said: “I thought I was capable for doing them, and I wanted to do it to decrease the pressure when I get to years 10 and 11.

“I am happy, I feel good and the smile is still there.”

The siblings, who moved to Palmers Green from Yemen, said continuing their education after the move was easy but adjusting to British life was a challenge.

Alya said she was pleased with her results and is now considering whether to study for her A-levels at Latymer School, in Edmonton, or at St Michael's Catholic Grammar School, in Finchley.

She added her aspiration is to take up dentistry, saying: “I just like fixing people's smiles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment