SANAA, Yemen, May 14 (UPI) -- Yemen's embattled President Ali Abdullah Saleh has issued a warning to the protesters who have been calling for his ouster, state media said.
Speaking to thousands of supporters in Sanaa after Friday prayers, Saleh indicated he wasn't going to step down and protesters should be aware of the consequences of demonstrations, The New York Times said.
"What we built in 22 years, you spoiled in three months," he said. "The military is obliged to protect its institutions with all its might."
Regardless, tens of thousands of protesters swarmed other parts of the city and elsewhere in the country.
A doctor in the city of Ibb, south of the capital, told the Times by telephone the military had opened fire on protesters and killed three of them.
Another doctor in Taiz said two demonstrators had been wounded by military gunfire.
A plan devised by the Gulf Cooperation Council that would allow Saleh to step down in exchange for immunity from prosecution wasn't largely welcomed by protesters, who said they were leery of any promise made by Saleh, the Times said.
The council is composed of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates, although Qatar announced it was leaving the talks Thursday "because of procrastination," the report said.